Powered by Blogger.

SWEET MUSIC AND THE MICHELIN MAN

 Tuesday, March 8, 2011



The days moved on slowly and somewhere in my memory is a mish/mash of mixed up events and happenings.

Incidents slowly came back to me as I recovered of the 21 days I virtually lost and clearest of these is one afternoon as I lay in my "Michelin Man" suit and under a cocktail of pain killing drugs and hearing the sweetest classical guitar music.  

It was soft in the distance for a while then became louder and I can recall looking towards my door as a young lady pulled up a chair, sat down and took up her guitar and played the sweetest music.  It called to my soul and gave me some time of peace and serenity.  I don't know who she was, but apparently it is part of a "Music as Therapy" program.

Whoever you are - I remember your kindness and it brought a tender touch with the world of music to my life.

For those of you who don't know who "The Michelin Man" is - he was the logo image for Michelin motor tyres and this is an image of him and this is how I looked with all my dressings on during my time of treatment for Stevens Johnson Syndrome.


I can never look at him without it recalling all sorts of mixed memories for me.

Some time during Post Transplant treatment and my fight with Stevens Johnson I experienced a period with very swollen feet - my toes were like little sausages and I could not bend my feet - walking was almost impossible and I spent lots of days in bed with feet raised.  Apparently swelling of the feet and genital area (for men) is common after long abdominal surgery.  Common it may be but painful it surely is.  Walking to the bathroom and shower was a difficult task but it did pass and soon I had my feet toes and ankles back again.

My hospital days were a blur of blood tests/x-rays/several liver biopsies/ultra sound and constant checks on medication levels.

My move back to 5E was a landmark event and for me it meant I was getting well again, so we started Physio routine again and once I was able to walk again without the swollen feet, I would take walks two or three times a day.  Short at first and increasing the distance daily.

There was laughter and there was happiness too and I also became part of a photographic event to acknowledge donations from Lion's Club of equipment to the ward.  The photographs were for the Lion's Club magazine and I received copies of them


This was taken just a few days before I left hospital.

Often my walks were during the night when the wards were quiet and there were lovely chats with nurses sitting at Nursing Stations and coming back from breaks etc.  Nighttime in hospital is a different time - much the same as weekends - no bustle and hurry, gentle voices and torch light.

My journey continued and I made progress and will continue this story in my next post.

Thank you for taking this journey with me - it was long and hard, but there was victory and blessings.

Love and hugs,










1 comments:

Unknown,  April 4, 2011 at 10:10 AM  

They do look like a happy bunch, lovely to see the smiles.

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and checking on how I am doing.

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP