LISTED AND WAITING and CHRISTMAS
Sunday, February 13, 2011
I was home again to wait and be ready when the call came - or at least I thought I was going to be at home.
I spent much of the time from being listed until Christmas 2009 in and out of hospital - several stays and all with the same problem - fluid in the pleural cavity, which was drained but causing Medical staff great concern.
Their concern was about infection each time they inserted a drain - but I can remember pleading for them to insert a drain so that once again I could breathe.
The stays in hospital were relatively short but so too were the times at home.
I used the time at home to get preparations ready for Christmas as it had been planned as a family celebration and there were to be 14 of us for lunch. I had started really really early getting things organized and I was determined to be home with my family for what in my heart I felt was very likely to be my last Christmas.
Christmas was on the Friday and I insisted on coming home - so I left Flinders on the Tuesday afternoon to spend time with family and interstate friends.
I was at home with my family and friends, but I remember very little about it all.
My daughters and my niece took over and did everything that I had not been able to do. We celebrated in Australian style with a cold Christmas lunch which made it easier. Everyone made a dish and brought it with them and we had lots of seafood, cold meats and salads and lovely deserts. At least the family did - I think for the entire day I ate four prawns and that was it.
My bed was in the family room and I lay on that for a good portion of Christmas day soaking up the scenes around me - capturing memories.
By the end of a very beautiful day when all family had gone home I managed to do some tidying up and putting this away - but I was so relieved to lie down and rest.
On the Saturday morning - Boxing day I knew that it was time for me to be back into hospital again and things moved very fast.
I have memories of Naomi doing dishes, Alexis vacuuming and John sorting out the fridge while I sat with my hospital bag at my feet.
John took me into Flinders and by the time he had parked the car I was undressed and in a bed and had a doctor with me. I was later admitted to 5E - home from home, and another drain was inserted.
I went in through A&E which was very busy on the day after Christmas and there was lots of waiting for lots of people I didn't wait at all - they were kindness itself and so very efficient.
My drain brought me relief (it is almost instant) and it was left in to be sure to completely drain the fluid. Chest Xrays showed that there was still a small amount of fluid in before the drain blocked and had to be removed. This was on the Tuesday.
I was struggling to get to the bathroom and shower because of shortage of breath and looking forward to receiving a new drain on the Wednesday morning.
Early on the Tuesday evening I had a visit from Nicole (Transplant Coordinator) with a cheery smile and posing the question:
"Well what are they going to do with you?"
My response was that they were going to insert a new drain the next morning, but she said - Oh No I don't think so and I can remember saying,
but Nicole I can't breathe. I shall forever remember her words to me
but Nicole I can't breathe. I shall forever remember her words to me
"Well that isn't happening because we've got something better for you."
I was stunned and it took a while for the full impact of what she was saying to sink in. There were lots of questions from Nicole and I had lots of questions too.
This was Tuesday 29th. December 2009.
I will continue with my story in my next post.
Love and hugs,


1 comments:
Nicole is a treasured name from now on, I really like her and have never met her!
Post a Comment