Powered by Blogger.

TIME TO GO

 Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Hospital wards and floors are never quiet places even during the nights there is always some activity and this time it was my turn to be part of the activity.

Somewhere between four and four thirty on the morning of Wednesday 29th. December my "driver" arrived to take me to the theatre.  Felicia had me all well and truly ready - with my pillow in storage with my name pinned to it  - a nice clean gown and I had showered and been to the bathroom - as far as could be I was ready.

Felix was the beautiful soul who took me for that early morning ride and Felicia walked with us.  Before leaving 5E I was farewelled by the whole staff, with lots of waves and cheers and hugs and lots of comments of "see you soon."

Hospitals are different in the night - the lifts are quiet and the ride was not a long one - my clearest impression of the ride down there was the soft and gentle voice of Felix and Felicia's beautiful smile.

Bearing in mind that it was only four days after Christmas I was delighted to see the Christmas Decorations still up in the operating Suite.  Each corridor decorated in beautiful matching colours - it brought me much joy.  There was the traditional red and green, in another passage way purple and pink, another gold and silver and another in aqua and blue. They were stunning and it was a lovely memory to take with me.

Felicia handed my files over to the Theatre Staff and bade me a fond farewell - I was now in other hands.  I remember their faces, but not their names - they were bright and funny and so good to me.  We went through the routine and I had all that I should expect explained to me.

I chatted with the Anesthetist and he and his assistant went through what I should expect and I was then transferred into the Operating Theatre.

No decorations here - just stark and very bright lights and so many machines - I had blood pressure cuffs attached and a peg on my finger to measure my stats.  I was never left alone - I remember a beautiful Irish nurse with a glorious accent talking to me and holding my hand.  The Anaesthetist chatted to me and made sure I was okay - I don't recall seeing the surgical team and I suspect I was well and truly "asleep" by the time this team came in.

I recall having the cannula inserted in my hand and being given a mask with some oxygen to breath and fighting it being so close on my face - so it was held some distance away and I was okay with that.

I can still feel the gentle hands holding mine as I felt myself drift off and from then on it is all a mess of nothingness.

And so started a procedure and another day's work for this surgical team as I did indeed fly free.

More soon.

Love and hugs,




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and checking on how I am doing.

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP