WONDERING ABOUT MY UNKNOWN FRIEND
Sunday, June 5, 2011
Elton John - Candle in the Wind
"And it seems to me you lived your life
Like a candle in the wind
Never knowing who to cling to
When the rain set in
And I would have liked to have known you
But I was just a kid
Your candle burned out long before
Your legend ever did"
Like a candle in the wind
Never knowing who to cling to
When the rain set in
And I would have liked to have known you
But I was just a kid
Your candle burned out long before
Your legend ever did"
WONDERING ABOUT MY UNKNOWN FRIEND
I received a letter in the mail
Telling me some things about you,
How that you were kind and generous
Compassionate and true.
This letter has me wondering
So very much about your life,
All this because of a letter -
A letter from your wife.
Were you tall and handsome
With eyes of tender blue? -
I know that people found joy
In the time they spent with you.
Did you work with your hands
Or was an Office job your scene,
Did you have a beard
Or was your faced shaved and clean?
Did you follow football
Or was cricket more your liking,
Did you walk for exercise
Or perhaps you went biking?
Was it tennis or the rugby
That set your heart a racing,
Olympic Games or swimming,
Horse racing or even Pacing?
Did you like to garden
With dirt upon your boots,
Putting your hands in the earth -
Going back to your roots.
Did you feel most comfortable
In winter or summer's heat,
At the end of each day
Were you happy to put up your feet?
Did you kick through autumn leaves
Or enjoy walks upon the beach
Did children spend time with you
And what lessons did you teach?
Were you someone's Dad
And do they miss you too?
I am sure that if you were
They are so very proud of you.
Did you have a booming laugh
Or a rather cheeky grin,
Was there a dimple in your cheek
Other hearts to win.
Were you a kindly neighbour
With a warm and cheery smile,
Did you stop to chat with folk
As you walked a weary mile?
What music stirred your soul
And did you like to dance,
Or were you a party man
With a strong and confident stance?
Maybe the strong and silent type
With books to bring you pleasure,
Did you like the movies -
How did you fill your leisure?
Was there a dog as your companion
Or did a cat sit on your knee?
I know so much about you
And yet so little you see.
I know that you were loved
And that there's an empty space
In the heart of one who loved you
And that none could take your place.
I know that I am thankful
For the letter from your wife,
Part of you lives on in me -
You gave me the gift of life.
I shall live my life in happiness
And ever grateful be
To you - the very special man
Who gave this gift to me.
© Linda J. Vaughan
28th. November 2010


0 comments:
Post a Comment