SERVICE OF THANKSGIVING
Sunday, June 5, 2011
Sarah McLachlan - In the Arms of an Angel.
This afternoon in the company of my family, I attended the South Australian Organ and Tissue Donor Service of Thanksgiving and was deeply moved by the stories told and the tears shed.
South Australia had 80 organ and tissue donors during 2010 and this service was to honour them. Burgundy ribbons for Donor Familes and Green for Recipients and Families.. Two new ribbon colours were there today - pink for eye donation and blue for eye recipients.
It is a positive experience and amazing the number of people there affected by this issue. I am proud to honour my Donor and his family and to light a candle for him. It was beautiful to see all the candles burning brightly and to know that each one had special meaning.
This is something I wrote after transplant:
MY UNKNOWN FRIEND
Some time in each and every day
No matter what I say or do,
There comes that quiet moment
When my thoughts turn to you.
I never ever met you
And yet I know you well,
Your courage and your kindness
In spite of the fate you befell.
Your family must have loved you dearly,
For they allowed your wishes to be
They stepped forward and signed the papers
And you gave the gift of life to me.
At a time when their hearts were breaking
They heeded your clear request,
Part of you was implanted in me
What a wonderful bequest.
A part of you lives on in me
And allows me to see the sun.
I celebrate the new life I have
And see it as a battle won.
I find new joy in little things ~
The beauty all around,
The sun, the moon the autumn leaves,
The friendships I have found.
The days move on and I cherish so much
And no matter where or what I do,
There comes that quiet moment
When my thoughts turn to you.
© Linda J. Vaughan
Sunday August 8th. 2010
With a thankful heart.
Love and hugs,



1 comments:
Linda how wonderful the service must have been. I am sure it was a very emotional day for everyone. I love the idea of different coloured ribbons. The candles must have looked so beautiful. Thank you for sharing this very special part of your life with us. I have learned so much about organ donation through our friendship.
love and hugs
Helen xxx
Post a Comment